Saturday, February 25, 2017

Dreaming of Infusion Sites

The past couple of days my new insulin pump infusion site has been sore. It was like that when I put it in, but I'm stubborn. I don't like to change it unless I see blood, or my blood sugars get crazy. I didn't have my CGMS in (I was planning on putting one on this morning), so I didn't have a totally solid look on my blood sugars, but I was testing regularly with no major issues.

Last night I had a dream that someone was pulling on my insulin pump tubing, pulling my infusion site. It was weird, but I've had similar dreams before. I woke up, tested my blood sugar (I was in the low 200s), gave a bolus and went back to sleep. I woke up this morning and my blood sugar was STILL high, even higher than before. I knew something was wrong.

I looked down at my infusion site and it was full of blood. Yay. Really, really, really bad site. Maybe that pulling on my tubing wasn't a dream after all. I pulled the site and then proceeded to bleed through 3 tissues and a Band-Aid. When I finally got the bleeding to stop, I did a new infusion site and a sensor.

It sucks, because I am waiting for my blood sugar to come down so that I can eat breakfast (I'm starving). But it could be worse. I have a new site, a new sensor, I'm feeling okay (other than thirsty and dry mouth). At least it did get any worse before I caught it, so I still have my Saturday ahead of me! I've got things to do!

No comments: