Saturday, February 5, 2011

Spare Change

If you're like me, you don't carry a whole lot of cash on your person. But I'd almost bet that most of us could find a quarter rolling around in the bottom of our purses, or in an old coat pocket. A quarter. Twenty-five cents. When we're talking about change, that's not a lot.
But when we're talking about diabetes, twenty-five is a huge number. Twenty-five years ago today, a little 4 year old girl ended up in the hospital. Twenty-five years ago her life, and the lives of all those who loved, and would love her changed forever.
That little girl grew up. I'm almost 30 now. And diabetes is still around. As I'm writing this post my emotions are all over the place. Part of me celebrates. I celebrate LIVING with diabetes. I celebrate friends, and family, and the online community. I celebrate decent health. I celebrate the fact that parts of my life are so much better as a result of things surrounding diabetes.

But I'm also sad. I mourn. I mourn for innocence lost. I mourn for good health that I've never known. I mourn that people are still dying from this disease.

I'm angry because the doctors said "ten years" in 1986. I feel guilty because my health is better than some of my peers (Why did I get the good genes??).

Diabetes is an emotional disease. I am glad that some good emotions are coming out today. I'm going to Knoxville to celebrate a friend's birthday. But I'll also be celebrating 25 years. A quarter of a century of living with diabetes.

And just so you know... I'll probably have ice cream. :)

12 comments:

meanderings said...

Have a wonderful time with your friend.
Enjoy the ice cream.
Hugs...

Lee Ann Thill said...

Happy 25th D-Anniversary! Enjoy your day in Knoxville, enjoy your ice cream, and know that I'm not so glad you have D, but I am glad D brought you into my life :)

Cherise said...

Happy D-anniversary! What a blessing 25 years of life and beating the odds. You are an awesome person and ou deserve to eat ice cream.

Sara said...

Our diaversaries are only a day apart! Well... a day and several years! :)

I hope you have as much fun today as I did yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Happy D-anniversary! I'm glad that you are living well with diabetes. My 11 year anniversary was on 2/2. I look forward to hitting my 25 year mark! Thank you for sharing your story. -Jessica M.

Allison Blass said...

Happy diaversary! You rock! Can't wait to see you again in May. :)

Unknown said...

25.

It's a pretty awesome number!

We have ice cream for lunch every year on 7/25. So far we've had five of them.

Be sure to add extra fudge and toppings :)

HVS said...

Happy Diaversary,Cara.Wishing you continued good health & happy celebrations involving lots of ice cream!

Hallie Addington said...

You SHOULD have ice cream! That's something to celebrate!!

In 23 years my 4 year old will be where you are. It boggles my mind. Thank you for the glimpse into the future!

Scott S said...

Happy diaversary, Cara! Let's hope that neither of us will have to "celebrate" a 50-year diabetes anniversary because a cure-related treatment will be available by then!

Jillian said...

Happy anniversary Cara! Here's to many more happy and healthy years LIVING with Diabetes :)

Katie from SF said...

Happy 25 girlie! :)