Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Freak Out!


The other day I was changing clothes when I noticed that my insulin pump tubing was slightly pinkish. And I freaked out. Completely. My first thought was that I had blood in my tubing. This has never happened to me before, although I have read about it happening to others.

I immediately starting pushing on my infusion site. No pain or irritability. Then I disconnected my tubing from my site and saw that there was no blood showing in the infusion site.

And then it occurred to me.

I wore a red shirt the day before.

And apparently it rubbed off on my tubing, which was running from my arm, through my shirt, to my pocket.

And then I felt like an idiot.

That's my stupid freak out for the week. Anyone else have one?

9 comments:

Pam said...

No stupid freak outs YET this week (I'm sure one is on the way), but I love the red shirt story! Definately something I would do.

Anonymous said...

My tubing turned black the other day! Imagine my surprise when I looked down at that. I think the combination of a new shirt and a hot day just made the dye rub right off. I think the pink would have freaked me out too!
-Jillian

Katie from SF said...

Ha! I've done that. I've also seen "pink" from the reflection of a red wall I was sitting next to. Fun stuff. =)

Cara said...

Jillian- I think if it had been any other color, I just would have looked at it weird. But pink... ekkk! I think summer heat and a new red shirt did me in. :)

~Suzanne~ said...

Hahaha, I just freaked out when you said red tubing, and then laughed hysterically when I found out why!! Sadly, this has even happened to me and I still didn't figure it out ;)

Jacquie said...

That happens to me with dark jeans or new black pants. I look down at the site and it's all black, and for a second I think I have a gangrene infection or something.

meanderings said...

Hasn't happened to me, yet - but when it does, I'll smile and think of you as I stay calm, cool and collected.

Crystal said...

Been there. I've thought the same thing and realized it was some reflection of sorts.

Karen said...

LOL, too funny!!! I'm sure I've had plenty of stupid freak outs - I just wish I could remember one right now to tell you about.